Warner Bros and DC Films have officially announced the next entry in the DC Extended Universe film franchise will be called “Justice League.”
The film’s official logo was released, along with a synopsis of what the film is going to be about. Justice League will take place a few months after the events of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.
Here’s the official synopsis:
Fueled by his restored faith in humanity and inspired by Superman’s selfless act, Bruce Wayne enlists the help of his newfound ally, Diana Prince, to face an even greater enemy. Together, Batman and Wonder Woman work quickly to find and recruit a team of metahumans to stand against this newly awakened threat. But despite the formation of this unprecedented league of heroes—Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg and The Flash—it may already be too late to save the planet from an assault of catastrophic proportions.
Notably absent from the official synopsis is Superman, who died at the hand of Doomsday in the final minutes of Batman v Superman. Luckily for fans, Henry Cavill has been seen on the set, so we know Superman will be making his return at some point during the film.
Producer Deborah Snyder reportedly has stated that the movie will be a stand-alone film. Justice League will not be a two-part film. Media outlets are using click-bait headlines saying it’ll be the only film, but the slot for Justice League Part Two will likely be another stand-alone Justice League film.
Other details regarding the film have come to light, especially addressing concerns that critics and unhappy fanboys should be thrilled to hear.
- The film will be more “Inclusive” for a Younger Audience
- Ben Affleck promises that there will be more humor and fun in the film.
- The character of Cyborg (Ray Fisher) will be mostly CGI
- Junkie XL, who collaborated with Hans Zimmer on the Batman v Superman soundtrack, will take over as primary composer for Justice League
- Artist Alex Ross, best known for DC’s Kingdom Come comic book event, was the main inspiration for costumes in Justice League
- Justice League will be a DC Comics’ fan’s dream: it’ll be full of easter eggs.
- DC Films, Warner Bros, and the Producers are listening to fan complaints and are moving forward with the mindset to make a satisfying film.
- Willem Dafoe will play Vuklo, an Atlantean politician and a mentor to Aquaman.
- The main villain will be Steppenwolf, an uncle of sorts to Darkseid. Steppenwolf will reportedly be leading an army of Parademons, which were teased in the “Knightmare” sequence (aka Bruce’s nightmare of the world being taken over).
- Steppenwolf was initially featured in Batman v Superman in a cameo, but his scene was cut. He will make his return in the Ultimate Edition cut, which comes out in July.
- Jesse Eisenberg has confirmed he will return as Lex Luthor.
- Bruce Wayne, and his trusty butler Alfred (Jeremy Irons), who is a skilled mechanic as shown in Batman v Superman, will provide tech for the other Justice League members.
- Ezra Miller’s Flash/Barry Allen is reportedly one of the best things about the movie, which should calm critics that favor Grant Gustin‘s television version. He’ll apparently be a source of comic relief, breathing fresh air into the DCEU.
Justice League will open in theaters on November 17, 2017.