It’s that time of year again, where the awards for the best (and worst) movies of 2013 are announced. One of the more entertaining awards is the Golden Raspberry Award, awarding recognition of the worst films, directors, actors, and actresses in the last year.
Leading the pack with the most nominations was Grown Ups 2. This is yet another year in which a movie starring Adam Sandler has been nominated.
Unsurprisingly, Movie 43 was nominated for 6 Razzies. The sketch comedy anthology film featuring an ensemble cast that featured Elizabeth Banks, Kristen Bell, Hallie Berry, Gerard Butler, Emma Stone, Kate Winslet, and Hugh Jackman was universally destroyed by critics and movie viewers, with many considering it to be one of the worst movies of all time.
M. Night Shyamalan once again manages to find his way onto the Razzies list. He previously has been nominated for Razzies with his films The Lady in the Water, The Happening, and The Last Airbender. This is the 4th straight film in which a movie he directed and wrote has been nominated for a Razzie, continuing his downward slide of quality films since 2002’s Signs.
Filmmaker and actor Tyler Perry also finds himself on the Razzies list. This has become an annual routine since all his films somehow find their way on this list.
Katherine Heigl was been nominated for another Razzie as her career continues to take a downward spiral. It’s a far cry from the days when Katherine won an Emmy on Grey’s Anatomy and was gaining popularity at the Box Office with Knocked Up and The Ugly Truth.
One of the most amusing nominations was Lindsay Lohan in her supporting actress roles in InAPPropriate Comedy and Scary Movie 5. In both films, she played HERSELF.
WoE’s own Jared Munson wrote about 3 of the films on this list. To get his take on these movies, check out Jared’s Top 5 Worst Films of 2013.
And now for the nominees:
- After Earth
- Grown Ups 2
- The Lone Ranger
- A Madea Christmas
- Movie 43
- Dennis Dugan – Grown Ups 2
- Peter Berg – A Madea Christmas
- M. Night Shyamalan – After Earth
- Gore Verbinski – The Lone Ranger
- The 13 Directors (Elizabeth Banks, Steven Brill, Steve Carr, Rusty Cundieff, James Duffy, Griffin Dunne, Peter Farrelly, Patrik Forsberg, Will Graham, James Gunn, Bob Odenkirk, Brett Ratner, and Jonathan van Tulleken) – Movie 43
- Hallie Berry – The Call and Movie 43
- Selena Gomez – The Getaway
- Lindsay Lohan – The Canyons
- Tyler Perry – A Madea Christmas
- Naiomi Watts – Diana and Movie 43
- Johnny Depp – The Lone Ranger
- Ashton Kutcher – Jobs
- Adam Sandler – Grown Ups 2
- Jaden Smith – After Earth
- Sylvester Stallone – Bullet to the Head, Escape Plan, and Grudge Match
Worst Supporting Actress
- Salma Hayek – Grown Ups 2
- Katherine Heigl – The Big Wedding
- Kim Kardashian – Temptation: Confessions of a Marriage Counselor
- Lady Gaga – Machete Kills
- Lindsay Lohan – InAPPropriate Comedy and Scary Movie 5
Worst Supporting Actor
- Chris Brown – Battle of the Year
- Taylor Lautner – Grown Ups 2
- Will Smith – After Earth
- Nick Swardson – Grown Ups 2 and A Haunted House
- Larry the Cable Guy – A Madea Christmas
- After Earth (screenplay by M. Night Shyamalan and Gary Whitta. Story by Will Smith)
- Grown Ups 2 (screenplay by Adam Sandler, Tim Herlihy and Fred Wolf)
- The Lone Ranger (screenplay and story by Justin Haythe, Ted Elliott and Terry Russio. Based on the Lone Ranger by Fran Striker and George W. Trendle)
- A Madea Christmas (written by Tyler Perry)
- Movie 43 (written by Steve Baker, Ricky Blitt, Will Carlough, Tobias Carlson, Jacob Fleisher, Patrik Forsberg, Will Graham, James Gunn, Claes Kjellstrom, Jack Kukoda, Bob Odenkirk, Bill O’Malley, Matthew Alec Potenoy, Greg Pritikin, Rocky Russo, Olle Sarri, Elizabeth Wright Shapiro, Jeremy Sosenko, Jonathan van Tulleken and Jonas Wittenmark)
Worst Remake, Rip-Off, or Sequel
- Grown Ups 2
- The Hangover Part III
- Scary Movie 5
- The Smurfs 2
- The Lone Ranger
Worst Screen Combo
- The entire cast of Grown Ups 2
- The entire cast of Movie 43
- Lindsay Lohan and Charlie Sheen in Scary Movie
- Tyler Perry and either Larry the Cable Guy or that worn out wig and dress (aka Madea) in A Madea Christmas
- Jaden Smith and Will Smith in After Earth
Categories: Movie News, Movies
Leave a Reply